Skip to main content

When an oven mitt gets you out of the kitchen

 

More experimentation related to next year's exhibition. I used Maria Shell's template. I wanted to find something that captured my response to Karim Demirbay's sexist comment to a referee after being red-carded. To his credit, he is reported to have apologised (and why should that be something to celebrate). In exploring our exhibition title / theme I was drawn to the mitt as something that portrays the idea of  'knowing one's place'. Lots to think about, explore and many expiriments ahead. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making progress Trees #2

 

Repurposing quilts

  I made a king sized quilt many decades ago for a friend and after many winters she returned it because of wear and tear. Instead of faithful service, stories and history, she saw something that no longer held value. There were tears and wear points, and the only other option if I couldn't repair it, was to throw it away. I suggested she give it back and I'd turn it into bags. Fifteen so far, and that used one of the side panels. Two side panels and the top of the quilt to go. I'll try to find some other ways of giving the quilt a second or third life, ever so glad it stayed out of landfill.

The Move Part I

Moving fortnight, rather than a day. We've loaded the vehicles and made the round trip each morning until only the heavy things were left for those with younger backs a.k.a the removalists.  The advantage seemed to be in unpacking each box each trip so that when the "big day" arrived, everything was in its place except the studio. Not sure how the majority of boxes, crates and cases were labelled "studio" and it felt like the Sorcerer's Apprentice - never ending boxes from seemingly nowhere. Unpacking is a chance to renew an old acquaintance with materials and objects not seen since they were stored 2+ years ago. It begs the question about whether I need any of it given I've managed to create in a confined space while we waited for the build. Everything is being reviewed for the joy it brings, why it is in the box, what I will do with it, or can I thank it for its service and find a new home? A long, hard and muscle-wearying experience, but one that the ...