Skip to main content

Time to reflect and take a break

Stormy weather nearly every day has kept me inside. This week I went back to paid employment after nearly 5 months away to move house, set up studios and offices, study and generally stay sane. Lots of time to reflect, to be still in the afternoons and listen to the grumble of thunder, or watch rain bursts fall over the mountains.  Now that I'm fully functioning (well almost) in the studio / office space it has made a huge difference to establish my routines and settle into them like falling into an overpadded lounge chair. The last 5-10 minutes of every visit is set aside to put everything back in its place, to tidy, sort, prepare and clean up before the lights go out, the fan slows to stillness and the sliding doors meet in the middle to signal the end of another day.  It's now time to be gentle, and keep the promise to myself of stress free Christmas holiday. We're unplugging, as far as we can, from the digital world and have banned phones at the table during meals, conversation or when we're outside enjoying the quiet of Kalbar from the back patio. I'll be back in 2024 for another year of making things happen, my way.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making progress Trees #2

 

Repurposing quilts

  I made a king sized quilt many decades ago for a friend and after many winters she returned it because of wear and tear. Instead of faithful service, stories and history, she saw something that no longer held value. There were tears and wear points, and the only other option if I couldn't repair it, was to throw it away. I suggested she give it back and I'd turn it into bags. Fifteen so far, and that used one of the side panels. Two side panels and the top of the quilt to go. I'll try to find some other ways of giving the quilt a second or third life, ever so glad it stayed out of landfill.

The Move Part I

Moving fortnight, rather than a day. We've loaded the vehicles and made the round trip each morning until only the heavy things were left for those with younger backs a.k.a the removalists.  The advantage seemed to be in unpacking each box each trip so that when the "big day" arrived, everything was in its place except the studio. Not sure how the majority of boxes, crates and cases were labelled "studio" and it felt like the Sorcerer's Apprentice - never ending boxes from seemingly nowhere. Unpacking is a chance to renew an old acquaintance with materials and objects not seen since they were stored 2+ years ago. It begs the question about whether I need any of it given I've managed to create in a confined space while we waited for the build. Everything is being reviewed for the joy it brings, why it is in the box, what I will do with it, or can I thank it for its service and find a new home? A long, hard and muscle-wearying experience, but one that the ...