Skip to main content

When a laundry is not just the laundry

 It's not often we get to design a room "from scratch". Aside from the necessity to have clean clothes and bed linen, there's a lot of textile and fabric design that happens across the hall in the main studio area. So the tub had to be stainless steel, and large enough to take 4-5 metres of fabric at a time. I needed hanging space immediately above the sink which also is neat for hanging wet shirts and human-worn textiles. White-ish stone benchtop - so I see what I'm doing, and long enough to do all the folding and sorting of fabrics (and clothing). Overhead cupboards to store dyes, paints, printing supplies, chemicals, and everything else required in a wet studio. Lots of light - splashback tiles that reflected as much natural light as possible into the space (same deal for the kitchen). Tall  (aka broom) cupboards to take all manner of equipment including a recharging station and power points for operating the Elna press and another iron when the dyeing is done. Finally, a linen press 2+ metres in length to take bolts of fabric and all the "long things" that seem to be part of a textile artist's life. Can't wait for it all to be finished!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making progress Trees #2

 

Repurposing quilts

  I made a king sized quilt many decades ago for a friend and after many winters she returned it because of wear and tear. Instead of faithful service, stories and history, she saw something that no longer held value. There were tears and wear points, and the only other option if I couldn't repair it, was to throw it away. I suggested she give it back and I'd turn it into bags. Fifteen so far, and that used one of the side panels. Two side panels and the top of the quilt to go. I'll try to find some other ways of giving the quilt a second or third life, ever so glad it stayed out of landfill.

The Move Part I

Moving fortnight, rather than a day. We've loaded the vehicles and made the round trip each morning until only the heavy things were left for those with younger backs a.k.a the removalists.  The advantage seemed to be in unpacking each box each trip so that when the "big day" arrived, everything was in its place except the studio. Not sure how the majority of boxes, crates and cases were labelled "studio" and it felt like the Sorcerer's Apprentice - never ending boxes from seemingly nowhere. Unpacking is a chance to renew an old acquaintance with materials and objects not seen since they were stored 2+ years ago. It begs the question about whether I need any of it given I've managed to create in a confined space while we waited for the build. Everything is being reviewed for the joy it brings, why it is in the box, what I will do with it, or can I thank it for its service and find a new home? A long, hard and muscle-wearying experience, but one that the ...