Skip to main content

Lisa Call - fine art, finer artist

Our new home will be filled with art that inspires and objects that bring joy. I first met artist  Lisa Call in Philadelphia in 2012, and purchased an exquisite textile painting. Inspired then, inspired now and privileged to have acquired  three new works ahead of our move. I still smile at the serendipity of entering a gallery in the old part of Philly, without knowing how that interaction would become an enduring friendship. Lisa was in the house (gallery) on that day, and the rest is history. As the founder of the Make Big Art community,  Lisa's coaching and encouragement continues to support my own growth and help take my arts practice to another level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making progress Trees #2

 

Repurposing quilts

  I made a king sized quilt many decades ago for a friend and after many winters she returned it because of wear and tear. Instead of faithful service, stories and history, she saw something that no longer held value. There were tears and wear points, and the only other option if I couldn't repair it, was to throw it away. I suggested she give it back and I'd turn it into bags. Fifteen so far, and that used one of the side panels. Two side panels and the top of the quilt to go. I'll try to find some other ways of giving the quilt a second or third life, ever so glad it stayed out of landfill.

The Move Part I

Moving fortnight, rather than a day. We've loaded the vehicles and made the round trip each morning until only the heavy things were left for those with younger backs a.k.a the removalists.  The advantage seemed to be in unpacking each box each trip so that when the "big day" arrived, everything was in its place except the studio. Not sure how the majority of boxes, crates and cases were labelled "studio" and it felt like the Sorcerer's Apprentice - never ending boxes from seemingly nowhere. Unpacking is a chance to renew an old acquaintance with materials and objects not seen since they were stored 2+ years ago. It begs the question about whether I need any of it given I've managed to create in a confined space while we waited for the build. Everything is being reviewed for the joy it brings, why it is in the box, what I will do with it, or can I thank it for its service and find a new home? A long, hard and muscle-wearying experience, but one that the ...