Skip to main content

Bare Bones and other tales

It is hard to imagine this space in another month or two - the main studio and office area placed opposite the laundry and powder room. The bare bones of a new space. Currently playing with the zones - a place to work / office and life administration, a cutting station, a sewing area that will fit my Bernina workhorses and overlocker. Equally important, a space and place for reflection, reading and rest. There is a single, large window from which the WMBM will create an oasis in the outside recess - meeting the needs of viewing pleasure while maximising natural light. The laundry has a special linen cupboard designed for bolts of PFD fabric and storage of bulky items. Back in the room, I'm thinking a wall of storage and more bench space and finally, the best position for a portable design wall.  There is no rush and I'm happy to wait and see how best to respond to this new environment. The space will let me know what to do.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making progress Trees #2

 

Repurposing quilts

  I made a king sized quilt many decades ago for a friend and after many winters she returned it because of wear and tear. Instead of faithful service, stories and history, she saw something that no longer held value. There were tears and wear points, and the only other option if I couldn't repair it, was to throw it away. I suggested she give it back and I'd turn it into bags. Fifteen so far, and that used one of the side panels. Two side panels and the top of the quilt to go. I'll try to find some other ways of giving the quilt a second or third life, ever so glad it stayed out of landfill.

The Move Part I

Moving fortnight, rather than a day. We've loaded the vehicles and made the round trip each morning until only the heavy things were left for those with younger backs a.k.a the removalists.  The advantage seemed to be in unpacking each box each trip so that when the "big day" arrived, everything was in its place except the studio. Not sure how the majority of boxes, crates and cases were labelled "studio" and it felt like the Sorcerer's Apprentice - never ending boxes from seemingly nowhere. Unpacking is a chance to renew an old acquaintance with materials and objects not seen since they were stored 2+ years ago. It begs the question about whether I need any of it given I've managed to create in a confined space while we waited for the build. Everything is being reviewed for the joy it brings, why it is in the box, what I will do with it, or can I thank it for its service and find a new home? A long, hard and muscle-wearying experience, but one that the ...