Skip to main content

2023 Themes and priorities

 

#1 priority - create. Every day.  E V E R Y single day.  

#2  priority - turn up. Participate fully in the things I have already chosen. Be creative in the promise of something new and untried,  with artists I admire and respect. 

#3 priority - ditch. End one way transactions disguised as relationships. Excesses, duplicates, recognising when I should know better. 

#4 priority - removal from the things that are no longer healthy investments of my love, care and time. Vigilance in the ongoing decluttering process. 

#5 priority - self care and respect.

The new year dawned full of promise yet January 1 is only the day after the night of December 31. Not much has changed overnight and yet it has. New year, fresh start as the old year's door quietly shuts. Time to reflect on how to spend these upcoming 52 weeks.

 It must be doing what's important with the people who really matter. Perhaps there is truth in Picasso's view that art is chaos taking shape, and removing that which is unnecessary. I'll be reducing the chaos and embracing the new shape in 2023.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making progress Trees #2

 

Repurposing quilts

  I made a king sized quilt many decades ago for a friend and after many winters she returned it because of wear and tear. Instead of faithful service, stories and history, she saw something that no longer held value. There were tears and wear points, and the only other option if I couldn't repair it, was to throw it away. I suggested she give it back and I'd turn it into bags. Fifteen so far, and that used one of the side panels. Two side panels and the top of the quilt to go. I'll try to find some other ways of giving the quilt a second or third life, ever so glad it stayed out of landfill.

The Move Part I

Moving fortnight, rather than a day. We've loaded the vehicles and made the round trip each morning until only the heavy things were left for those with younger backs a.k.a the removalists.  The advantage seemed to be in unpacking each box each trip so that when the "big day" arrived, everything was in its place except the studio. Not sure how the majority of boxes, crates and cases were labelled "studio" and it felt like the Sorcerer's Apprentice - never ending boxes from seemingly nowhere. Unpacking is a chance to renew an old acquaintance with materials and objects not seen since they were stored 2+ years ago. It begs the question about whether I need any of it given I've managed to create in a confined space while we waited for the build. Everything is being reviewed for the joy it brings, why it is in the box, what I will do with it, or can I thank it for its service and find a new home? A long, hard and muscle-wearying experience, but one that the ...