Skip to main content

Kandinsky and Half Tuna on a larger scale

Priority #1 - Create

Progress on the upscaled block created for Symposium2022 (Wellington, NZ). This queen sized version builds on the Symposium challenge of using Reseene paint chips (Kandinsky and Half Tuna) to create a single 30cm x 30cm (12" square) block.   My exhibition piece was inspired by a Kandinksky painting - strong lines, curves and inspirational composition.

The larger version comprises 9 blocks made in the style of the challenge piece. The finished quilt top will comprise a 9 patch (3 x 3)  framed in black and brought together by a wonderful green Kona cotton that was selected after the blocks were made.  The dilemma of finding the "right" fabric was solved using an app (A Quilty Solid) by Steph Skardal.   

I uploaded an image of the constructed border which I made from block remnants - anything the size of a square inch (2.5cm squared) or larger was used. So far, about 9  metres  The app then gave me 20 colours from the image, and even better, the respective Kona solid. I hand dye and print my fabrics so for me, this was such a bonus not to spend hours or days trying to get the "right" colour fabric to bring a cohesive feel to my already constructed blocks. I googled the colour I'd decided upon and ordered from a local (for Australia anyway) online shop. Presto! I'm back in business without leaving the house. Ordered and delivered within a few days. For me, a magic result.  Now to finish the quilt top.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making progress Trees #2

 

Repurposing quilts

  I made a king sized quilt many decades ago for a friend and after many winters she returned it because of wear and tear. Instead of faithful service, stories and history, she saw something that no longer held value. There were tears and wear points, and the only other option if I couldn't repair it, was to throw it away. I suggested she give it back and I'd turn it into bags. Fifteen so far, and that used one of the side panels. Two side panels and the top of the quilt to go. I'll try to find some other ways of giving the quilt a second or third life, ever so glad it stayed out of landfill.

The Move Part I

Moving fortnight, rather than a day. We've loaded the vehicles and made the round trip each morning until only the heavy things were left for those with younger backs a.k.a the removalists.  The advantage seemed to be in unpacking each box each trip so that when the "big day" arrived, everything was in its place except the studio. Not sure how the majority of boxes, crates and cases were labelled "studio" and it felt like the Sorcerer's Apprentice - never ending boxes from seemingly nowhere. Unpacking is a chance to renew an old acquaintance with materials and objects not seen since they were stored 2+ years ago. It begs the question about whether I need any of it given I've managed to create in a confined space while we waited for the build. Everything is being reviewed for the joy it brings, why it is in the box, what I will do with it, or can I thank it for its service and find a new home? A long, hard and muscle-wearying experience, but one that the ...